Special Seminar on Cyber Security Information Security: Restraining Cyber Operations Through International Law
, Center for International Security and Cooperation, Stanford University
Date: Tuesday, December 13, 2016
Time: 1:30 PM to 3:30 PM Note: all times are in the Eastern Time Zone
Refreshments: 1:15 PM
Host: John Mallery, MIT-CSAIL
Contact: John Mallery, firstname.lastname@example.org
Speaker URL: None
TALK: Special Seminar on Cyber Security Information Security: Restraining Cyber Operations Through International Law
The United Nations Group of Governmental Experts (GGE) has affirmed the applicability of UN Charter principles to information and communication technologies (ICT) and articulated norms of state behavior for cyber operations. Currently, diplomats at the GGE and legal scholars writing version 2.0 of the Tallinn Manual are both considering how international law applies to conflict involving ICTs. This seminar will explore American, Chinese, and Russian perspectives on interpreting legal principles of humanitarian law, sovereignty, and state responsibility to enhance peace and security in cyberspace.
Legal experts from those three countries will offer presentations and discuss questions about:
1) How can international law help prevent the hostile use of information and communications technology (ICT) and deescalate cyber conflicts?
2) What are the governing sources of law and their various interpretations for cyber operations?
3) How does international humanitarian law (also known as the law of armed conflict) apply to ICT?
4) What are the legal standards for attributing state responsibility for malicious cyber incidents or campaigns?
5) How can nation states legally respond to cyber attacks with countermeasures, retorsions, or other means?
6) What are the legal protections for civilian infrastructures and neutral parties in cyberspace?
* Gary Brown, Marine Corps University, USA
* Anatoly Streltsov, Lomonosov Moscow State University, Russian Federation
* Thomas Wingfield, National Defense University, USA
* Lixin Zhu, Xian Jiaotong University, Peoples Republic of China
Created by Maria Rebelo at Thursday, December 08, 2016 at 10:04 AM.